History of the Palace
In the 17th century, in the agricultural settlement of Strzekęcin (German name Streckenthin) there was a knight’s estate belonging to the von Wolde families, owners of the nearby village of Dunowo (Thunow).
Probably from the 18th century there was a decorative garden at the seat, as evidenced by old trees surrounding the palace and terraces, which are in turn traces of the old Baroque garden layout. However, nothing is known about the size and appearance of the original knight’s seat and the garden. Presumably there was a court archives, which were destroyed in 1945, according to the head of the State Archives (information from 1974)
In the years 1899-1901, on the north-eastern side of the courtyard, at some distance from the farm buildings, a magnificent palace was built in the neo-Renaissance style with a tower with romantic features, stylized as a defensive castle. The southern wing of the palace was an older building called outbuilding from the second half of the 19th century. During this period, the extensive park area was rebuilt and expanded. In the palace surroundings, however, elements referring to the classicistic garden layout have been left, i.e. terraced terrain, stairs, balustrades, an oval living room and greenery (trimmed box trees and yews, hornbeam hedges, groves and old trees). During the Art Nouveau period, the historical assumptions of the past Renaissance and Baroque periods were referred to.
„The Amber Palace” Hotel is an exclusive four-star hotel complex, which today consists of two palaces – Amber and White and Hunting Residence. A small lake glitters between them. The whole is surrounded by an old landscape park with elements of an 18th-century French garden where you can spend your free time. There are also stylish terraces and artificially built volcanic walls. On the “park hill” in the forest part of the park, a water tower was located in 1922. All these elements were created many years ago at the request of the owner.
In 1906, the then owner started an experimental potato cultivation and seed potato production in Pomerania. Over the years, this breeding became one of the most important plants producing plants and therefore it gained international fame.
After the war, the White Palace temporarily became the headquarters of the Soviet Marshal Zhukov. In the 1960s, the palace housed the PGR headquarters, and in the years 1966-1980 the palaces served the Jelcz Automobile Plant as the so-called company holiday resort. After 1980, it served as a boarding house for students of the Koszalin technical school of construction. Later in the following years the entire complex became the property of the police.
In the early 90’s the dilapidated palaces were purchased by a private owner. Thanks to his huge efforts, the completely ruined palace and garden were restored and its interior restored to its former splendor. Today, the palace successfully serves as an exclusive hotel with professional training and conference facilities and a modern Spa and Wellness center.